Week 9 Reading A: Congo

I read the story A Vanishing Wife.

This story was very interesting to me, it was about a man everyone hated who dreamt that he could get a hot wife if he brought her fish with their heads cut off. When he woke up the next morning, he went and caught some fish and cut off their heads and when he got back to his hut it was gone and in it's place was a beautiful house with a beautiful wife. Long story short, every day she had her sons go with him to carry the fish, but eventually the man got tired of cutting off the fishes heads and sent a son home with a headed fish. As soon as he did that, everything he had was gone and everyone hated him again. 

I think the moral of the story is do exactly what your wife wants or else. "Happy wife, happy life" at it's earliest form! If I were to rewrite this story I think that I would make it more modern, and have the moral of the story the same. I think it's kinda funny, the whole don't piss off your wife thing. This seemed like a pretty random story to me, and is pretty surprising that that would really be the moral, considering the time and place of the story. 

Stories from the Notes on the Folklore of the Fjort Congo by R. E. Dennett

Tropical rainforest between Dolosie and Pointe-Noire in Congo-Brazzaville
Congo from Nations Online

Comments