Week 6 Reading: The Iliad Reading Notes Part A

I read the story of What Thetis Did for Her Son 

This story is about Thetis who goes to Zeus and I am assuming practically seduces him into letting Achilles her son "have honor done to him" in battle because he apparently is getting embarrassed. Zeus says he will help but of course Hera finds out and gets hella pissed. Her son tells her to chill and makes a joke so that Zeus and Hera stop fighting. Everyone is uncomfortable. Zeus sets up this plan for this other guy to think that he can take the city of Troy with the help of Achilles.

I think if I rewrote this story I would do it so that it would be more funny. This story to me is basically about Zeus being a jerk and unable to resist the ladies and Hera also being a jerky and yelling at him at the middle of the party. I think it would be an interesting twist to focus this story more on the tension between Zeus and Hera and maybe make it through Hera's inner dialouge.

Zeus and Hera from Raymondusrex

Bibliography:

The Illiad retold by Alfred J Church link

Comments