Reading Notes Part B: Nigerian Folk Stories

I read the story Of the Fat Woman who Melted Away. I thought this was a really funny story honestly. This woman was made of oil and obese and for some reason every guy wanted to marry her. Finally one guy did but his first wife was so jealous of her fat and oilyness that she abused the oil girl telling her to go outside and work. The only problem is that the fat girl melts if she ever goes out in the sun, since you know, she's literally made out of oil. So she goes outside and melts completely except for her big toe. Her sister came with her and saved the toe. When the husband came home from work that night he asked where his fat oil wife was, and the fat oil girl's sister said that his other wife is a total b-word and he has to get rid of her if he wants his fat oil wife back. So naturally the husband literally returns the first wife to her parents, and they are so embarrassed by her behavior that they sell her as a slave and give the money they get back to the husband as a return for his dowry. He goes back home and some how the fat oil girl can come back to life by just sitting in a pot for three months. And somehow the moral of the story is don't be a jealous wife or your husband will return you to the store (within 90 days) for a full refund. 

This is seriously just hilarious. This is one of the most ridiculous stories I have ever read. Honestly. It makes no sense and I have no idea why this would actually scare girls into being nice to their husbands. But whatever. If I were to rewrite this story, there really isn't much I would change. Like I said, it's hilarious. I think I would add in the dialouge between the girls. That would definitely make the story a lot more funny. I don't know if I would keep the part about the husband returning his wife, I think the funniest part of the story is just the first wife bitching at the second wife until she literally melts except for her toe. Can't really beat that story line. 


the jealous first wife by Pinterest

Bibliography:
Folk Stories From Southern Nigeria by Elphinstone Dayrell link

Comments