Week 6 Reading B: Arabian Nights


I like this story because it reminds me just of the movie. Aladdin is approached by a man who claims to be his dead father's brother but is actually a magician. The magician takes him to a cave to seek a magical lamp with a genie in it, but he doesn't tell Aladdin about the genie. When Aladdin refuses to give him the lamp he locks him in the cave seemingly forever (but we all know he finds out about the genie and escapes). 

If I were to rewrite this story I think it would be really funny to tell it with dogs. Instead of a magic lamp is a magic chew bone, and the evil magician is a cat. The genie would be Doug the Golden Retriever from the movie UP. I think it would end up being a really funny story, and I would keep all the plot lines the same, just rewrite it so that it makes sense for it all to be dogs. 

Doug the Possible Genie from wiki

Bibliography: 

The Arabian Nights' Entertainments by Andrew Lang link to the story 

Comments