Reading Notes: Life of Buddha Part B

Life of Buddha: Siddhartha and King Vimbasara

I like this story because Sid really focuses on how desires get you nowhere in life and you will not reach true enlightenment by wanting things. To me this is a little bit more of a serious story and if I were to rewrite it I think I would reflect that. I could see myself rewriting this as a story of a man who wanted everything in life, and constantly strove to get it. He achieved great riches and popularity and had everything he ever wanted but still felt unhappy. One day on one of his many travels he decided to go for a hike alone. Once he reached the top of the mountain, the simplicity and the solitude spoke to him and he realized how worthless everything he had really was. He came back home with a new sense of peace. Everyone around him kept asking if he wanted more things, but he told them desires meant nothing to him anymore. 

Sid Meditating by Wikimedia Commons

The Life of Buddha by Andre Ferdinand Herold link to story

Comments